The Borley Rectory

The Borley Rectory

The Haunted Borley Rectory

The year is 1863. 

In Borley, a small village near Sudbury, Essex...a house is built. The erected house is for Reverend Henry Dawson Ellis Bull; being built on the site of a previously old Benedictine monastery. The old Benedictine monastery was originally a monastery built by benedictine monks in 1362. 

Local legend tells of the tragic story of a monk who tried to elope with a nun from the Bures Nunnery nearby.

Despite many hours and intricate details of planning an escape with the addition of a carriage to ferry them far away to safety, the two lovers, on their way to elopement were caught. 

Harsh punishment was imposed on the two lovers and the were sentenced to die painful deaths.

The monk was hanged. And for a lonely-gruesome death for the nun...her punishment was to be bricked up in the walls of the monastery's cellars. 

Historians speculate that the story of the walled up nun was probably adopted from Rider Haggard's novel, but villagers had all along known of the nun who could be seen walking around the land near the monastery sad and mournful. 

In the year 1863, Reverend Henry Bull was at the helm of the Borley Rectory, despite the haunted-warnings of the locals. 

There had been accounts of visitors hearing unexplained footsteps as well as experiencing visions of an apparition by the Rector's four daughters, the form of which seemed to disappear as it approached closer.

So fascinated by the nun was Reverend Henry Bull, that he built a new wing that was named 'Nun's Walk' by the village so that he could watch the ghost. 

Unfortunately, the nun eventually became a problem, specifically since she had become accustomed to scaring visitors by making appearances behind the windows.

In 1892 Henry Dawson Bull died and his son Harry Bull took over the rectory.

In the ensuing years, sightings of the nun had greatly-increased; and a new apparition of a ghostly coach driven by two headless horsemen was added to the already growing accounts of ghostly sightings. 

Harry Bull claimed to have communicated with spirits but all that ended with his death in June of 1927. The Borley Rectory was left vacant for a year, eventually gaining new occupants: Reverend Guy Smith and his wife.

Having knowledge of the house's history, it was the next day that in the course of cleaning the cupboard, that Mrs.Smith came across a brown paper-package which contained the skull of a young woman. 

After a short while they started experiencing strange 'happenings,' such as the lights which seemingly switched on and off without explanation.

Other strange events included objects being moved around the house, frightening whisperings in the night, stones which appeared to throw themselves, and the ringing of servants-bells whose ropes had been cut in the formative years.

Occasionally, they also witnessed the strange appearances of a catholic medallion. 

The Smiths eventually vacated from the Borley-Rectory in April 1930 after asking for help from The Daily Planet newspaper. Shortly thereafter, Reverend Lionel Foster, together with his wife and adopted daughter Adelaide moved in.

The phenomenon grew worse. The mysterious 'happenings' before went on and new 'happenings' occurred as well. Strange scripts began to appear on the walls and their daughter had an ever more-so terrifying experience.

Their seemingly innocent daughter found herself locked in a room, and had no key or exit path, and was being fervently attacked by what she termed a ‘horrible thing.’ 

Foster's wife Marianne, also had her own experiences of the 'ghastly' sort. Marianne had on occasion been inexplicably thrown from her bed.

Marie Larrie would in time come to be known as the nun apparition who walked the grounds.

Through sance, she allegedly claimed to have been murdered and her soul left to wander searching for holy burial ground as a sance by Helen Glanville revealed. 

Sunex Amures another spirit allegedly contacted by s驩ance, claimed that he would set fire to the rectory on the same night and that bones of murdered people would be found.

Sunex Amures’ prophesy came to pass...a year later, the rectory burned to the ground and bones were indeed found. 

The Borley Rectory's burning was investigated and found to be fraudulent. The found bones were given a decent burial in a Liston churchyard. 

It was believed by the townsfolk, that the burial would enable 'Marie Lairre' to finally be able to rest peacefully.



Like this article? Be sure to share it with your friends!

Ready to share your ghost story?



Up Until Today
The Ghost of H.H.S.