The land known today as Waverly Hill was originally bought and purchased by Major Thomas H. Hays in 1883. Mr. Hays noticed that his new-home was quite a far way from accompanying schools for his daughters to attend so he had built a local-schoolhouse.
He hired Lizzie Harris as his daughters teacher. Miss Harris decided to named the schoolhouse Waverley School. This name appealed to Major Hays and promptly named his property "Waverley Hill".
During the late 19th century and early 20th, America (specifically, in this case, Kentucky) was over-run by a highly-contagious, life-altering and often times deadly disease known as the "white-death" or Tuberculosis.
In 1900, Louisville, Kentucky held one of the largest records of tuberculosis-related deaths in America, in part due to swamplands surrounding the area, making the entire city an excellent breeding grounds for the disease.
During this time-period no cure for the white-death existed; This, in turn made daily-life unbearable for many as it was a main-cause of many deaths between friends, families and sometimes even entire towns.
With disease on the rise, and death occurring daily, a hospital was constructed in southern Jefferson County, on a steep hill.
However, the care received at the hospital was no match for the white-death as the hospital had become quickly over-populated, leading to the construction of a new hospital in 1924 and was completed in 1926 with the name of Waverly Hills.
This new-hospital was once considered to be the most advanced in the country at fighting tuberculosis. However; many still suffered death at the defeat of the disease. At this time there were no anti-bacterial medicines to help fight off the wahite death.
Therefore, treatment consisted of getting "plenty of fresh-air", eating healthy, nutritious food and lots of rest.
Often times, treatment for the disease was worse than the disease itself. Horrible experiments were conducted on numerous patients. Experiments would be conducted in the way of: exposing the lungs of patients to ultra-violet light to cease the spread of the bacteria.
Artificial-light was placed in areas known as "Sunrooms" or the roof of the hospital.
Hospital-staff would leave patients out in the most nastiest of weather. It didn't matter season was disregarded. Patients could be seen sitting in front of huge, open windows, covered in snow and rain. It didn't matter just as long as they got their dose of " fresh air" to help aid them.
If that's bad...it gets worse. Patients showing advanced-signs of tuberculosis were "treated" through means of surgically implanting balloons into the lungs of patients and filled with area to allow the lung to expand and allow more airflow.
Results were often disastrous with death being a result. Muscles and ribs were removed to give the patient more breather-space and lung-expansion. This was known as a last-resort procedure and again, death being a result the majority of the time.
Many patients survived treatments and the tuberculosis and were allowed to leave the hospital and return home. However, those who succumbed to either one, left the hospital in what is known as the "body-chute".
This "body-chute" was a tunnel that went from the first-floor of the hospital to the bottom of the steep-hill it connected to. It's length was about 500 feet.
When a patient died at Waverly Hills, before the use of the tunnel, corpses were taken out of the hospital in full-view of patients, causing fear, dropping morale, and panic. The tunnels main use prior to the body-chute was for workers and medical supplies to passed through easily.
The staff figured that because of the crushed-spirits of patients, they'd begin using the tunnel as means of hauling the dead without any patients seeing. Mental-health was just as important as physical health according to doctors of their time.
In 1943, new medicines have been discovered that were greatly-effective in combating tuberculosis. In 1961 Waverly Hills was shut down only to be opened again a year later under the name Woodhaven Geriatrics Sanitarium.
Some rumors state that patient-abuse(electroshock-therapy) happened often during the years that the building was used as an old-age home. budget-cuts, poor-conditions and patient-abuse/mistreatments were factors in the facility being shut-down in 1982.
Not long after, Ghost Stories and more rumors followed of the building and surrounding-land as being haunted. The ghost of a young girl was said to haunt the fourth-floor of the old solarium, the departed soul of a boy carrying a leather-ball could be seen walking the halls, the woman with cut-wrists crying out for help, one bizarre ghostly story of the sighting of an old hearse delivering coffins near the back of the building.
There are many other rumors that circulate through the towns and Louisville that include lights with no power-source, doors slamming, disembodied-footsteps, unexplainable sounds and voices.
A popular legend or ghost story of Waverley Hills, is that of a white-coat wearing man, often seen walking in the kitchen, possibly once a cook. The sightings of this man is usually accompanied by the smell of fresh-baked bread.
Many paranormal-research teams, one being the Louisville Ghost Hunter's Society who were witness to this, they found no logical-explanation.
There are many other stories that revolve around the paranormal in regards to Waverly Hills, whether they're true or not we'll never know...but as always, I'd like to hear your opinions!
Try tapping on one. Let us know how you feel about this article!